1. Leonard HB: Children with Language Impairment. Cambridge: MIT Press; 1998.
2. Tallal P, Piercy M: Developmental aphasia: The perception of brief vowels and extended stop consonants. Neuropsychologia 1975, 13:6974.
3. Tallal P, Piercy M: Developmental aphasia: rate of auditory processing and selective impairment of consonant perception. Neuropsychologia 1974, 12:8393.
4. Tallal P, Stark RE, Kallman C, Mellits D: Developmental dysphasia: relation between acoustic processing deficits and verbal processing. Neuropsychologia 1980, 18:273284.
5. Tallal P: Auditory temporal perception, phonics and reading disabilities in children. Brain Lang 1980, 9:182198.
6. Tallal P, Stark RE: Speech acoustic-cue discrimination abilities of normally developing and language-impaired children. J Acoust Soc Am 1981, 69:568574.
7. Tallal P, Piercy M: Defects of non-verbal auditory perception in children with developmental aphasia. Nature 1973, 241:468469.
8. Tallal P, Piercy M: Developmental aphasia: impaired rate of non-verbal processing as a function of sensory modality. Neuropsychologia 1973, 11:389398.
9. Elliott LL, Hammer MA: Longitudinal changes in auditory discrimination in normal children and children with language-learning problems. J Speech Hear Disord 1988, 53:467474.
10. Elliott LL, Hammer MA, Scholl ME: Fine-grained auditory discrimination in normal children and children with language-learning problems. J Speech Hear Res 1989, 32:112119.
11. Reed MA: Speech perception and the discrimination of brief auditory cues in reading disabled children. J Exp Child Psych 1989, 48:270292.
12. Hari R, Kiesila P: Deficit of temporal auditory processing in dyslexic adults. Neurosci Lett 1996, 205:138140.
13. Kraus N, Mcgee TJ, Carrell TD, Zecker SG, Nicol TG, Koch DB: Auditory Neurophysiologic Responses and discrimination deficits in children with learning problems. Science 1996, 273:971974.
14. Ribrary U, Joliot M, Miller SL, Kronberg E, Cappell J, Tallal P, Llinas RI, , (eds),.: Cognitive temporal binding and its relation to 40Hz activity in Humans: Alteration during dyslexia. In: Biomag '96 Advances in Biomagnetism Research. Edited by Wood, Okada, Aine. Berlin: Springer Verlag; 1998).
15. Witton C, Talcott JB, Hansen PC, Richardson AJ, Griffiths TD, Rees A, Stein JF, Green GG: Sensitivity to dynamic auditory and visual stimuli predicts nonword reading ability in both dyslexic and normal readers. Curr Biol 1998, 8:791797.
16. Helenius P, Uutela K, Hari R: Auditory stream segregation in dyslexic adults. Brain 1999, 122:907913.
17. Duffy FH, McAnulty GB, Waber DP: Auditory evoked responses to single tones and closely spaced tone pairs in children grouped by reading or matrices abilities. Clin Electroencephalogr 1999, 30:8493.
18. Nagarajan S, Mahncke H, Salz T, Tallal P, Roberts T, Merzenich MM: Cortical auditory signal processing in poor readers. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 1999, 96:64836488.
19. Talcott JB, Witton C, McClean M, Hansen PC, Rees A, Green GG, Stein JF: Can sensitivity to auditory frequency modulation predict children's phonological and reading skills? NeuroReport 1999, 10:20452050.
20. Catts HW: The relationship between speech-language impairments and reading disabilities. J Speech Hear Res 1993, 36:948958.
21. Farmer ME, Klein RM: The evidence for a temporal processing deficit linked to dyslexia: A Review. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review 1995, 2:460493.
22. Tallal P, Miller S, Fitch RH: Neurobiological basis of speech: a case for the preeminence of temporal processing. In: Temporal Information Processing in the Nervous System, with Special Reference to Dyslexia and Dysphasia. Edited by Tallal P, Galaburda AM, Llinas R, von Euler C, vol. 682. pp. 2747. New York: New York Academy of Sciences; 1993.
23. Benasich AA, Tallal P: Auditory temporal processing thresholds, habituation, and recognition memory over the 1st year. Infant Behavior and Development 1996, 19:339357.
24. Benasich AA: Temporal integration as an early predictor of speech and language development. In: Brain Mechansisms in Cognition and Language—with Special Reference to Phonological Problems in Dyslexia. Edited by von Euler C, Lunberg I, Llinas R, vol. 70. pp. 123142. Oxford, Elsevier.: Elsevier; 1998.
25. Stark RE, Tallal P: Language, Speech, and Reading Disorders in Children: Neuropsychological Studies. Boston: College-Hill Press; 1988.
26. Tallal P, Merzenich MM, Miller S, Jenkins W: Language learning impairments: integrating basic science, technology, and remediation. Exp Brain Res 1998, 123:210219.
27. McAnally KI, Stein JF: Auditory temporal coding in dyslexia. Proc R Soc Lond [Biol] 1996, 263:961965.
28. Protopapas A, Ahissar M, Merzenich MM: Auditory processing deficits in adults with a history of reading difficulties. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 1997, 23:491.
29. Trehub SE, Schneider BA, Henderson JL: Gap detection in infants, children, and adults. J Acoust Soc Am 1995, 98:25322541.
30. Trehub SE, Henderson JL: Temporal resolution in infancy and subsequent language development. J Speech Hear Res 1996, 39:13151320.
31. Ludlow CL, Cudahy EA, Bassich C, Brown GL: Auditory processing skills of hyperactive, language-impaired, and reading-disabled boys. In: Central Auditory Processing Disorders. Edited by Lasky EZ, Katz J. pp. 163184. Baltimore: University Park Press; 1983.
32. McCroskey RL, Kidder HC: Auditory fusion among learning disabled, reading disabled, and normal children. J Learn Disabil 1980, 13:6976.
33. Green DM: Temporal factors in psychoacoustics. In: Time Resolution in Auditory Systems. Edited by Michelsen A. pp. 122140. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1985.
34. Galaburda AM, Kemper TL: Cytoarchitectonic abnormalities in developmental dyslexia; a case study. Ann Neurol 1979, 6:94100.
35. Galaburda AM, Sherman GF, Rosen GD, Aboitiz F, Geschwind N: Developmental dyslexia: Four consecutive cases with cortical anomalies. Ann Neurol 1985, 18:222233.
36. Humphreys P, Kaufmann WE, Galaburda AM: Developmental dyslexia in women: Neuropathological findings in three cases. Ann Neurol 1990, 28:727738.
37. Humphreys P, Rosen GD, Press DM, Sherman GF, Galaburda AM: Freezing lesions of the newborn rat brain: A model for cerebrocortical microgyria. J Neuropath Exp Neurol 1991, 50:145160.
38. Rosen GD, Press DM, Sherman GF, Galaburda AM: The development of induced cerebrocortical microgyria in the rat. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1992, 51:601611.
39. Fitch RH, Tallal P, Brown C, Galaburda AM, Rosen GD: Induced microgyria and auditory temporal processing in rats: A model for language impairment? Cereb Cortex 1994, 4:260270.
40. Herman AE, Galaburda AM, Fitch HR, Carter AR, Rosen GD: Cerebral microgyria, thalamic cell size and auditory temporal processing in male and female rats. Cereb Cortex 1997, 7:453464.
41. Fitch RH, Brown CP, Tallal P, Rosen GD: Effects of sex and MK-801 on auditory-processing deficits associated with developmental microgyric lesions in rats. Behav Neurosci 1997, 111:404412.
42. Clark MG, Rosen GD, Tallal P, Fitch RH: Impaired two-tone processing at rapid rates in male rats with induced microgyria. Brain Res 2000, 871:9497.
43. Hoffman HS, Ison JR: Reflex modification in the domain of startle: I. Some empirical findings and their implications for how the nervous system processes sensory input. Psychol Rev 1980, 87:175189.
44. Ison JR, Hoffman HS: Reflex modification in the domain of startle: II. The anomalous history of a robust and ubiquitous phenomenon. Psychol Bull 1983, 94:317.
45. Marsh RR, Hoffman HS, Stitt CL, Schwartz GM: The role of small changes in the acoustic environment in modifying the startle reflex. J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 1975, 1:235244.
46. Plomp R: Rate of decay of auditory sensation. J Acoust Soc Am 1964, 36:277282.
47. Kraus N, McGee T, Littman T, Nicol T, King C: Nonprimary auditory thalamic representation of acoustic change. J Neurophysiol 1994, 72:12701277.
48. Csépe V: On the origin and development of the mismatch negativity. Ear and Hearing 1995, 16:91104.
49. Zilles K: The Cortex of the Rat: A Stereotaxic Atlas. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1985.
50. Leitner DS, Hammond GR, Springer CP, Ingham KM, Mekilo AM, Bodison PR, Aranda MT, Shawaryn MA: Parameters affecting gap detection in the rat. Percept Psychophys 1993, 54:395405.
51. Ison JR: Temporal acuity in auditory function in the rat: reflex inhibition by brief gaps in noise. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1982, 96:945954.
52. Ison JR, O'Connor K, Bowen GP, Bocirnea A: Temporal resolution of gaps in noise by the rat is lost with functional decortication. Behav Neurosci 1991, 105:3340.
53. Galaburda AM, Menard MT, Rosen GD: Evidence for aberrant auditory anatomy in developmental dyslexia. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 1994, 91:80108013.
54. Livingstone M, Rosen G, Drislane F, Galaburda A: Physiological and anatomical evidence for a magnocellular defect in developmental dyslexia. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 1991, 88:79437947.
55. Goldman PS, Galkin TW: Prenatal removal of frontal association cortex in the fetal rhesus monkey: anatomical and functional consequences in postnatal life. Brain Res 1978, 152:451485.
56. Windrem MS, Finlay BL: Thalamic ablations and neocortical development: alterations of cortical cytoarchitecture and cell number. Cereb Cortex 1991, 1:230240.
57. Innocenti GM, Berbel P: Analysis of an experimental cortical network: ii) Connections of visual areas 17 and 18 after neonatal injections of ibotenic acid. J Neur Transplant 1991, 2:2954.
58. Rosen GD, Burstein D, Galaburda AM: Changes in efferent and afferent connectivity in rats with cerebrocortical microgyria. J Comp Neurol 2000, 418:423440.
59. Liberman AM, Cooper FS, Shankweiler DP, Studdert-Kennedy M: Perception of the speech code. Psychol Rev 1967, 74:431461.
60. Liberman AM, Mattingly IG: A specialization for speech perception. Science 1989, 243:489494.
61. Denenberg VH, Sherman GF, Schrott LM, Rosen GD, Galaburda AM: Spatial learning, discrimination learning, paw preference and neocortical ectopias in two autoimmune strains of mice. Brain Res 1991, 562:98104.
62. Schrott LM, Denenberg VH, Sherman GF, Waters NS, Rosen GD, Galaburda AM: Environmental enrichment, neocortical ectopias, and behavior in the autoimmune NZB mouse. Dev Brain Res 1992, 67:8593.
63. Dvorák K, Feit J: Migration of neuroblasts through partial necrosis of the cerebral cortex in newborn ratscontribution to the problems of morphological development and developmental period of cerebral microgyria. Acta Neuropath (Berl) 1977, 38:203212.
64. Dvorák K, Feit J, Juránková Z: Experimentally induced focal microgyria and status verrucosus deformis in ratsPathogenesis and interrelation histological and autoradiographical study. Acta Neuropath (Berl) 1978, 44:121129.
65. Kelly JB, Masterton B: Auditory sensitivity of the albino rat. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1977, 91:930936.