1. Dvorák, K., and Feit, J. 1977. Migration of neuroblasts through partial necrosis of the cerebral cortex in newborn ratscontribution to the problems of morphological development and developmental period of cerebral microgyria. Acta Neuropathol. (Berl.) 38:203212.
2. Dvorák, K., Feit, J., and Juránková, Z. 1978. Experimentally induced focal microgyria and status verrucosus deformis in ratsPathogenesis and interrelation histological and autoradiographical study.Acta Neuropathol. (Berl.) 44:121129.
3. Humphreys, P., Rosen, G.D., Press, D.M., Sherman, G.F., and Galaburda, A.M. 1991. Freezing lesions of the newborn rat brain: A model for cerebrocortical microgyria. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 50:145160.
4. Ferrer, I., Alcántara, S., Catala, I., and Zujar, M.J. 1993. Experimentally induced laminar necrosis, status verrucosus, focal cortical dysplasia reminiscent of microgyria, and porencephaly in the rat. Exp. Brain Res. 94:261269.
5. Suzuki, M., and Choi, B.H. 1991. Repair and reconstruction of the cortical plate following closed cryogenic injury to the neonatal rat cerebrum. Acta Neuropathol. (Berl.) 82:93101.
6. Rosen, G.D., Press, D.M., Sherman, G.F., and Galaburda, A.M. 1992. The development of induced cerebrocortical microgyria in the rat. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 51:601611.
7. Pixley, S.K., and de Vellis, J. 1984. Transition between immature radial glia and mature astrocytes studied with a monoclonal antibody to vimentin. Brain Res. 317:2019.
8. Culican, S.M., Baumrind, N.L., Yamamoto, M., and Pearlman, A.L. 1990. Cortical Radial Glia: Identification in tissue culture and evidence for their transformation to astrocytes. J. Neurosci. 10:684692.
9. Stichel, C.C., Müller, C.M., and Zilles, K. 1991. Distribution of glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin immunoreactivity during rat visual cortex development. J. Neurocytol. 20:97108.
10. Cameron, R.S., and Rakic, P. 1991. Glial cell lineage in the cerebral cortex: A review and synthesis. Glia 4:124137.
11. Edwards, M.A., Yamamoto, M., and Caviness, V.S.J. 1990. Organization of radial glia and related cells in the developing murine CNS. An analysis based upon a new monoclonal antibody marker. Neuroscience 36:121144.
12. Rakic, P. 1972. Mode of cell migration to the superficial layers of fetal monkey neocortex. J. Comp. Neurol. 145:6184.
13. Zamora, A.J., and Mutin, M. 1988. Vimentin and glial fibrillary acidic protein filaments in radial glia of the adult urodele spinal cord. Neuroscience 27:27988.
14. Yanes, C., Monzon, M.M., Ghandour, M.S., de, B.J., and Gombos, G. 1990. Radial glia and astrocytes in developing and adult telencephalon of the lizard Gallotia galloti as revealed by immunohistochemistry with anti-GFAP and anti-vimentin antibodies. J. Comp. Neurol. 295:55968.
15. Alvarez-Buylla, A., Buskirk, D.R., and Nottebohm, F. 1987. Monoclonal antibody reveals radial glia in adult avian brain. J. Comp. Neurol. 264:15970.
16. Holder, N., Clarke, J.D., Kamalati, T., and Lane, E.B. 1990. Heterogeneity in spinal radial glia demonstrated by intermediate filament expression and HRP labelling. J. Neurocytol. 19:91528.
17. Reichenbach, A. 1990. Radial glial cells are present in the velum medullare of adult monkeys. J. Hirnforsch. 31:26971.
18. Geschwind, D.H., and Hockfield, S. 1989. Identification of proteins that are developmentally regulated during early cerebral corticogenesis in the rat. J. Neurosci. 9:430317.
19. Friedman, B., Zaremba, S., and Hockfield, S. 1990. Monoclonal antibody Rat-401 recognizes Schwann cells in mature and developing peripheral nerve. J. Comp. Neurol. 295:4351.
20. Hunter, K.E., and Hatten, M.E. 1993. Postnatal cortical astrocytes can dedifferentiate to the radial glia phenotype in response to embryonic signals in vivo and in vitro. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 19:615.
21. Sotelo, C., Alvarado-Mallart, R.-M., Frain, M., and Vernet, M. 1994. Molecular plasticity of adult Bergmann fibers is associated with radial migration of grafted Purkinje cells. J. Neurosci. 14:12433.
22. Banker, G.A. 1980. Trophic interactions between astroglia cells and hippocampal neurons in culture. Science 209:809810.
23. Furukawa, S., Furukawa, Y., Satoyoshi, E., and Hayashi, K. 1986. Synthesis and secretion of nerve growth factor by mouse astroglial cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 136:5763.
24. Rudge, J.S., Manthorpe, M., and Varon, S. 1985. The output of neuronotrophic and neurite-promoting agents from rat brain astroglial cells: A microculture method for screening potential regulatory molecules. Dev. Brain Res. 19:161172.
25. Norris, C.R., and Kalil, K. 1991. Guidance of callosal axons by radial glia in the developing cerebral cortex. J. Neurosci. 11:34813492.