1. Taylor DC, Falconer MA, Bruton CJ, Corsellis JAN, Focal dysplasia of the cerebral cortex in epilepsy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1971;34:369387.
2. Galaburda, AM, Kemper TL, Cytoarchitectonic abnormalities in developmental dyslexia; a case study. Ann Neurol., 1979;6:94100.
3.Galaburda AM, Sherman GF, Rosen GD, Aboitiz F, Geschwind N, Developmental dyslexia: Four consecutive cases with cortical anomalies. Ann Neurol, 1985;18:222233.
4. Rosen GD, Sherman GF, Richman JM, Stone LV, Galaburda AM, Induction of molecular layer ectopias by puncture wounds in newborn rats and mice. Dev Brain Res, 1992. 67:285291.
5. Ferrer I, Alcántara S, Zújar MJ, Cinós C, Structure and pathogenesis of cortical nodules induced by prenatal x-irradiation in the rat. Acta Neuropathol (Berl), 1993;85:205212.
6. Brunstrom JE, Gray-Swain MR, Osborne PA, Pearlman AL, Neuronal heterotopias in the developing cerebral cortex produced by neurotrophin-4. Neuron, 1997;18:50517.
7. Schmidt, S, Lent, R. Effects of prenatal irradiation on the development of cerebral cortex and corpus callosum of the mouse. J Comp Neurol, 1987;264:193204.
8. Dvorák, K, Feit, J, Migration of neuroblasts through partial necrosis of the cerebral cortex in newborn ratscontribution to the problems of morphological development and developmental period of cerebral microgyria. Acta Neuropathol (Berl), 1977;38:203212.
9. Dvorák, K, Feit J, Juránková Z, Experimentally induced focal microgyria and status verrucosus deformis in ratsPathogenesis and interrelation histological and autoradiographical study. Acta Neuropathol (Berl), 1978;44:121129.
10. Ferrer I, Alcántara S, Catala I, Zujar MJ,, Experimentally induced laminar necrosis, status verrucosus, focal cortical dysplasia reminiscent of microgyria, and porencephaly in the rat. Exp Brain Res, 1993;94:261269.
11. Suzuki, M, Choi, BH, Repair and reconstruction of the cortical plate following closed cryogenic injury to the neonatal rat cerebrum. Acta Neuropathol (Berl), 1991;82:93101.
12. Humphreys P, Rosen GD, Press DM, Sherman GF, Galaburda AM, Freezing lesions of the newborn rat brain: A model for cerebrocortical microgyria. J Neuropath Exp Neurol, 1991;50:145160.
13. Rosen GD, Press DM, Sherman GF, Galaburda AM, The development of induced cerebrocortical microgyria in the rat. J Neuropath Exp Neurol, 1992;51:601611.
14.Fitch RH, Brown CP, Tallal P, Rosen GD, Effects of sex and MK-801 on auditory-processing deficits associated with developmental microgyric lesions in rats. Behav Neurosci, 1997;111:404412.
15. Fitch RH, Tallal P, Brown C, Galaburda AM, Rosen GD, Induced microgyria and auditory temporal processing in rats: A model for language impairment? Cereb Cortex, 1994;4:260270.
16. Clark MG, Rosen GD, Tallal P, Fitch RH, Impaired processing of complex auditory stimuli in rats with induced cerebrocortical microgyria: An animal model of developmental language disabilities. J Cogn Neurosci, 2000;12:828#150;839.
17. Tallal, P, Piercy, M, Defects of non-verbal auditory perception in children with developmental aphasia. Nature, 1973;241:468469.
18. Fitch, RH, Tallal, P, A case for auditory temporal processing as an evolutionary precursor to speech processing and language function. Behav Brain Sci, 1995;8:189.
19. Herman AE, Galaburda AM, Fitch HR, Carter AR, Rosen GD, Cerebral microgyria, thalamic cell size and auditory temporal processing in male and female rats. Cereb Cortex, 1997;7:453464
20. Rosen, GD, Herman, AE, Galaburda, AMSex differences in the effects of early neocortical injury on neuronal size distribution of the medial geniculate nucleus in the rat are mediated by perinatal gonadal steroid. Cereb Cortex, 1999;9:2734
21. Galaburda, AM, Menard, MT, Rosen, GD, Evidence for aberrant auditory anatomy in developmental dyslexia. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 1994;91:80108013.
22. Zilles K, Qü M, Schleicher A, Luhmann HJ, Characterization of neuronal migration disorders in neocortical structures: quantitative receptor autoradiography of ionotropic glutamate, GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptors. Eur J Neurosci, 1998;10:3095106.
23. Jacobs, KM, Hwang, BJ, Prince, DA, Focal epileptogenesis in a rat model of polymicrogyria. J Neurophysiol, 1999; 81:15973.
24. Jacobs, KM, Gutnick, MJ, Prince, DA, Hyperexcitability in a model of cortical maldevelopment. Cereb Cortex, 1996;6: 514523.
25. Luhmann, HJ, Raabe, K, Characterization of neuronal migration disorders in neocortical structures. 1. Expression of epileptiform activity in an animal model. Epilepsy Res, 1996;26:6774.
26.Luhmann HJ, Raabe K, Qü M, Zilles K., Characterization of neuronal migration disorders in neocortical structures: extracellular in vitro recordings. Eur J Neurosci, 1998;10: 308594.
27. Innocenti, GM, Berbel, P, Analysis of an experimental cortical network: ii) Connections of visual areas 17 and 18 after neonatal injections of ibotenic acid. J Neur Transplant, 1991;2:2954.
28. Innocenti, GM, Berbel, P. Analysis of an experimental cortical network: i) Architectonics of visual areas 17 and 18 after neonatal injections of ibotenic acid; similarities with human microgyria. J Neur Transplant, 1991;2:128.
29. Rosen, G.D., D. Burstein, and A.M. Galaburda, Changes in efferent and afferent connectivity in rats with cerebrocortical microgyria. J Comp Neurol, 2000;418:42340.
30. Jacobs KM, Mogensen M, Warren E, Prince DA, Experimental microgyri disrupt the barrel field pattern in rat somatosensory cortex. Cereb Cortex, 1999;9:73344.
31. Ivy, GO, Killackey, HP, The ontogeny of the distribution of callosal projection neurons in the rat parietal cortex. J Comp Neurol, 1981;195:367389.
32. Ivy, GO,Gould, HP, Killackey, HP, Variability in the distribution of callosal projection neurons in the adult rat parietal cortex. Brain Res, 1984;306:5361.
33. Akers, RM, Killackey, HP, Organization of corticocortical connections in the parietal cortex of the rat. J Comp Neurol, 1978;181:513538.
34. Hayama, T, Ogawa, H, Regional differences of callosal connections in the granular zones of the primary somatosensory cortex in rats. Brain Res Bull, 1997;43:3417.
35. Wong-Riley, M, Changes in the visual system of monocularly sutured or enucleated cats demonstrable with cytochrome oxidase histochemistry. Brain Res, 1979;171:1128.
36. Riddle, DR, Purves, D, Individual variation and lateral asymmetry of the rat primary somatosensory cortex. J Neurosci, 1995;15: 41844195.
37. Simons, DJ, Durham, D, Woolsey, TA, Functional organization of mouse and rat smQ barrel cortex following vibrissal damage on different postnatal days. Somatos Res, 1984;1:207245.
38. Ito, M, Barrelfield of the prenatally X-irradiated rat somatosensory cortex: a histochemical and electrophysiological study. J Comp Neurol, 1995;352:248262.
39. Micheva, KD, Beaulieu, C, An anatomical substrate for experience-dependent plasticity of the rat barrel field cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 1995;92:118348.
40. Koralek, KA, and Killackey, HP, Callosal projections in rat somatosensory cortex are altered by early removal of afferent input. I> Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 1990;87:13961400.
41. Rosen, GD, Jacobs, KM, Prince, DA, Effects of neonatal freeze lesions on expression of parvalbumin in rat neocortex. Cereb Cortex, 1998;8:75361.
42. Land PW, Akhtar, ND, Chronic sensory deprivation affects cytochrome oxidase staining and glutamic acid decarboxylase immunoreactivity in adult rat ventrobasal thalamus. Brain Res, 1987;425:17881.
43. Sugitani M, Yano J, Sugai T., Ooyama H. Somatotopic organization and columnar structure of vibrissae representation in the rat ventrobasal complex. Exp Brain Res 1990;81;34652.
44. Rice FL, Gomez C, Barstow C, Burnet A, Sands P, A comparative analysis of the development of the primary somatosensory cortex: Interspecies similarities during barrel and laminar development. J Comp Neurol, 1985;236:477495.
45. Welker, C, Woolsey, TA, Structure of layer IV in the somatosensory neocortex of the rat: discription and coparison with the mouse. J Comp Neurol, 1974;158:437454.
46. Killackey, HP, Leshin, S. The organization of specific thalamocortical projections to the posteromedial barrel subfield of the rat somatic sensory cortex. Brain Res, 1975;86:46972.
47. White, EL, Deamicus, RA, Afferent and efferent projections of the region in mouse smi cortex which contains the posteromedial barrel subfield. J Comp Neurol, 1977. 175:455482